Telegram is one of the most popular messaging applications in the world. In fact, this application includes the main competitors of WhatsApp and Facebook Messenger.
But, despite being a competitor of WhatsApp, Telegram’s popularity is still far behind compared to Facebook’s messaging application. Based on data published in March 2018, Telegram has 200 million active monthly users.
Though Telegram has several advantages when compared to WhatsApp. If you are looking for alternatives to WhatsApp and want to try Telegram, let’s continue to see how to register and use Telegram and its comparison with WhatsApp.
1. Download the Telegram Application
Telegram can be used on many platforms, ranging from the iPhone, Android, Windows, macOS, Chrome App and also the web version. But to be able to use Telegram on a PC or laptop, you must register a new account via the smartphone application.
2. Register an Account
To create a new account at Telegram you only need to register the phone number you use. After that, Telegram will call you to make sure the number is active or not. But don’t accept the phone call.
After a few seconds, you will receive an SMS with a code from Telegram. Usually, this code will be filled in automatically, but if not you can fill it in manually.
3. Give Telegram Access Permission
After that, Telegram will ask permission to access some parts of the smartphone. You can give permission for all access requests, but you can also refuse some access requests that you feel are disturbing.
The registration process for the new Telegram account is complete. After this, you can download the Telegram application for Windows, macOS, Chrome App, or just use the Telegram web client to log into your account.
Don’t forget to enable two-factor verification to make your account safer by going to the Settings menu, then clicking Privacy and Security and clicking Two-Step Verification.
5. Difference between Telegram and WhatsApp
Telegram and WhatsApp both offer messaging services with end-to-end encryption so they are not easily sneaked out by bad people. But, although both are quite safe, security and speed are the focus of Telegram.
In addition to privacy and security issues, there are still a few more things that distinguish Telegram and WhatsApp, including:
- Can send files in large sizes. If you often send a large photo and video files, this Telegram feature is certainly an advantage. Because Telegram allows users to send various types of documents from smartphones or computers with sizes up to 1.5 GB. WhatsApp can also be used to send documents, but the maximum size is 100MB.
- There is no video call feature yet. WhatsApp not only allows users to send text messages but also makes voice and video calls. Unfortunately, Telegram doesn’t support video call features like WhatsApp.
- There is a Secret Chats feature. This is one of Telegram’s excellent features. Secret Chats not only allows you to send messages with end-to-end encryption but also messages that you send cannot be forwarded or screenshots.
- Can delete messages automatically. Another excellent telegram feature that can guarantee the security of your message. If you don’t want the messages in the secret chats to be there forever, you can activate the timer to permanently delete the message. This timer can be set from one second to one week after the message is sent.
- large group. Chatting in groups with friends is better. For those of you who have very many friends, Telegram allows you to create group chats with up to 200,000 members.
- Free and without advertising. Telegram founder and CEO, Pavel Durov, ensures that the Telegram service will be free and without advertising forever. While WhatsApp is expected to start displaying ads on its platform, even though the service itself is still free.
For more tutorials and guides, please go to wikiahow.com